Monday, November 5, 2012

Correction: Honey, I Shrank the Kids


Belinda writes:
This movie title has always bothered me. Shouldn't it be 'Honey, I Shrank the Kids?'

That's one of two easy fixes. Shrink is an irregular verb. In the past tense, its participles are shrank and shrunk.

Quick rules:
  • Shrink is the verb in the present tense. If you leave your jeans in a hot dryer for too long, they shrink. 
  • Shrank is the participle in the simple past tense. When I left my jeans in a hot dryer for too long, they shrank.
  • Shrunk is used in the present perfect and past perfect tenses, to emphasize that an event has either recently been completed (present perfect) or completed in the distant past (past perfect). It is always preceded by a form of 'have' (e.g., has, have, had). I pulled my jeans out of the dryer but they had already shrunk.

Corrections:
  • Honey, I Shrank the Kids
  • Honey, I've Shrunk the Kids

1 comment: