Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Desert vs. Dessert: Think About Having Seconds

Jeremy asks:
"Can you give me an easy way for remembering how to spell 'desert' versus 'dessert'?

You've come to the right place. A lot of people get mixed up when spelling these words, but I've got a great mnemonic for remembering the difference.

Definitions:
  • desert (n.) [pronounced DEZ-ert] - a dry place.
  • dessert (n.) [pronounced deh-ZERT] - a yummy treat eaten after a meal.

Nifty mnemonics:
  • If you have one dessert, you'll want seconds. Remember that "dessert" is the one with two s's.
  • The two s's in dessert stand for "sweet stuff."

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much. Super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, remember, desserts backwards is ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY helpful - after 43 years I still couldn't remember, I will never forget the difference now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But don't forget the phase "just deserts".

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mneumonic I learned in grade 2 is that not much can grow in a desert....so they only have one 's' there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also a nifty way to remember is that a DESERT is too dry to have two of the letter S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jajaja I prefer mine:

    You deserve a dessert in the desert....

    Deserve sounds kind of dessert :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What if they desert you??? HUH?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent!! Thanks!! Great ideas here! Now I will never forget this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A desert has sand (one 's' in each). Strawberry Shortcake is a dessert (two 'ss' in each). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful. I'm going to teach my son of this little nifty trick. So easy to remember. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete